USAA serves the military but you do not have to be in the military to open an account. You will have to become a member prior to opening an account. Once you establish you are not in the military, a series of questions will be asked that will grant you membership.
USAA is a great full-service bank. Members can choose from several bank products such as mutual funds or brokerage accounts. Other financial products include credit cards and auto insurance. You will like their stellar customer service.
USAA verifies customers using Early Warning Services. If you have a record with EWS you may be denied. USAA does not use Chexsystems. You will be given a member number and with that number you can then open a checking account. The process can be completed online in about 15 minutes. The minimum opening balance is $25 for a checking account. The only issue with USAA is the initial deposit must come from an existing bank account or a Mastercard.
Highlights of USAA Free Checking Account:
- Honestly Free Checking – No Minimums, ATM Reimbursements
- Easy Deposit your checks through more than 2,000 select locations of The UPS Store® nationwide
- Free direct deposit
- Free ATMs nationwide – access your money instantly
- Qualified members can deposit checks from their smartphone or scanner with Deposit@Home® or Deposit@Mobile®
- USAA Web BillPay lets you pay, manage, and view all your bills in one place for free
- Mobile banking, USAA app for iPad®, and online access make it quick and easy to check your accounts
- Free unlimited funds transfers to and from any bank nationwide