Did you know a report is being kept on how you handle your bank accounts, including checking and savings? And, you are entitled to a free copy of that report once every 12 months. There is a fee to obtain the ChexSystems report if you’d like access to it more than once every 12 months.
ChexSystems is a consumer reporting agency that maintains a massive database on all consumers with bank accounts. You should know what information is being stored and reported about you. Although federal regulations allow ChexSystems to report negative information for up to 7 years, ChexSystems reports for 5 years.
If you are in ChexSystems it is important to review your report to insure out-of-date information has been removed. ChexSystems may remove a negative mark prior to the 5 year reporting period if, for example, you successfully dispute an error or out-of-date information or, a financial institution requests it due to a customer complaint about an error in reporting. The Fair Credit Reporting Act allows only accurate information to be reported by a consumer reporting agency like ChexSystems.
Perhaps you discovered there was negative information in your ChexSystems Report because you were denied a bank account. If so, you have the right to see what information exists about your banking habit free of charge.
Banks and credit unions can report accounts to ChexSystems for various offenses but below are some of the more common reasons:
- Uncollected overdraft fees, ATM transactions or Electronic Payments which the bank honored even though the customer had insufficient funds
- Account Abuse (Savings and Checking)
- Debit Card or ATM Abuse
- Multiple Overdrafts.
There are several ways to get your ChexSystems Report:
A ChexSystems Report can be ordered online at ChexSystems Consumer Assistance.
2. U.S. Mail
Chex Systems, Inc.
Attn: Consumer Relations
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125
Order ChexSystems Report by calling 800.428.9623. This is an automated voice messaging system. This telephone number allows you to request your Consumer Disclosure Report and to listen to general information. When ordering your ChexSystems Report you may be asked for basic information such as name, address, social security and date of birth.
4. Fee for ChexSystems Report
There is a $9.00 fee for your ChexSystems Report if you have already received a free ChexSystems report in the last 12 months.
5. Get a Free ChexSystems Report
Consumers are entitled to a free ChexSystems report once every 12 months under the FACT Act. You can order your free report under the FACT Act online at: ChexSystems website
Other criteria may entitle consumers to a free report are:
- Denied a bank account in the last 60 days
- If you have been the subject of an adverse decision, such as denial of credit insurance or employment based off your Chexsystems report within the past 60 days
- If you are unemployed and intend to apply for unemployment in the next 60 days
- If you are on public welfare assistance
- If you have reason to believe your file contains inaccurate information due to fraud
If you were denied check writing privileges you may need to order a Telecheck report also:
TeleCheck Services, Inc.
Attention: Consumer Resolutions-FA
P.O. Box 4514
Houston, TX 77210-4514
How to Get a New Account while in ChexSystems
Savings Account. If you are unable to get a bank account due to ChexSystems the BBVA Compass ClearChoice Money Market Account does not use ChexSystems. There are great features with the ClearChoice Money Market Account like mobile check deposits, direct deposit, bill payment and ATM banking at BBVA Compass ATMs. The account requires a deposit of $25. A money market account is like your basic savings account – the higher your balances, the greater your interest-earning possibilities. Open today!
Free Checking Account. Another option would be a bank that offers a second chance to people in ChexSystems. BBVA Compass offers an online checking account called the ClearConnect Checking Account. It’s a full-service bank with full checking account benefits. Here are just a few:
- Apply with only $25 opening deposit
- No monthly Service Charge
- Complimentary Online Banking and Mobile Banking, Bill Pay and Online Statements
- No ATM withdrawal fees at any BBVA Compass or Allpoint® ATM
- Compass Bank, Member FDIC