Where do you turn when you need extra cash but have problem credit? When you need money fast but have problem credit consider second chance loans.
Whether it’s extra cash to consolidate debt or finance large purchases an unsecured loan can help you reach your financial goals. Second chance loans offer people with problem credit an opportunity get back on track while getting the money they need fast.
Borrowers with good credit scores may have their pick of lenders but when borrowers have problem credit, the options are limited. There are several factors to consider with second chance loans including high interest rates along with loan origination fee and repayment terms.
If you’re in the market for a personal loan, make sure you only borrow what you need and have the ability to repay any money you borrow.
Because second chance loans may have higher interest rates, plan to pay off the loan early, if you can afford to do so. Paying off a loan early will save you money over the life of the loan. One other thing to consider is prepayment penalty: Make sure the loan you choose does not have a prepayment penalty.
The best loan deal, whether you have good credit or problem credit, is a loan with no prepayment penalty.
5 Second Chance Loan Companies
1. Best Overall: OppLoans
OppLoans offers online loans from $500 to $5,000. As of this writing, interest rates range from 59% – 199% APR. Personal loans are available with terms up to 36 months. All loans have a fixed interest rate with a fixed monthly payment. All credit scores are considered.
Despite the high interest rates, OppLoans is at the top of our list because of its no prepayment fee and the fact that it’s available in all states. By repaying the loan early, you can avoid the high interest rate. Monthly payments are reported to the major credit bureaus. Making timely monthly payments can help build your credit.
OppLoans offers personal loans for any reason. The turnaround time is 1 to 2 business days. Once approved, money can be deposited directly to your checking account as soon as the next business day. That means if you are applying during a week day, you could have funds in your account, after approval, within 24 hours.
A soft credit check is performed to determine loan offer options. If you choose to go forward, a hard credit check is performed. Learn more.
BetterCash offers online loans from $1,000 to $5,000. As of this writing, interest rates start at 30.00% APR. Second chance loans are available with maximum terms up to 3 years. All loans have a fixed interest rate with a fixed monthly payment. Borrowers should have at least a 500 credit score, but all credit scores are considered.
Some of the biggest benefits of BetterCash is customers get access to a wide range of other financial services, including a personalized investment portfolio, credit score updates, 0% APR cash advances and a savings account through its partner, MoneyLion. MoneyLion is one of the few lenders where customers are encouraged to build a savings with special incentives like $1 deposited into investment account for each day you log into MoneyLion.
- Be over 18 years old.
- You must be over 19 in Nebraska and Alabama.
- Have a checking account.
- Be employed.
- Get paid with direct deposit.
No origination and early repayment fees. Save even more money on interest with no additional fees by paying off your loan early. Learn more.
Upgrade offers online loans from $1,000 to $50,000. As of this writing, interest rates range from 6.99% up to 35.97% APR. Second chance loans are available with terms from 36 months to 60 months. All loans have a fixed interest rate with a fixed monthly payment. Borrowers should have at least a 620 credit score, but all credit scores are considered.
Upgrade is on our list because of its no prepayment fee plus a few special features:
- Simple one-page application.
- Get a decision in seconds – with no negative impact to your credit score.
- Fast funding, you can get money to your bank account within a day of clearing necessary verifications.
Upgrade charges a loan origination fee of 1% to 6% of the loan amount which is deducted directly from your loan funds. Get a personal loan for any reason. The turnaround time is fast. Funds are deposited directly to your checking account as soon as the next business day. That means if you are applying during a week day, you could have funds in your account, after approval, within 24 hours.
With an Upgrade loan, you’ll also get access to your free credit score and tools to help you understand credit health and ways you can improve it so you can unlock your full credit potential. Learn more.
LendingPoint offers online loans from $2,000 to $25,000. As of this writing, interest rates range from 15.49 APR to 35.99 percent APR. Second chance loans are available with terms from 24 months to 48 months. All loans have a fixed interest rate with a fixed monthly payment. Borrowers should have at least a 600 credit score.
To qualify for a personal loan from LendingPoint, you must have a credit score of 600, no bankruptcies, charge-offs or liens in the past 12 months. You should have a minimum yearly income of $20,000 and be employed for at least one year.
Once approved receive funds in your account as soon as the next business day. Check your offer without affecting your credit score. When you apply, LendingPoint uses a “soft pull” of your credit history that will not affect your credit score. Once you choose one of the loan options, LendingPoint proceeds with a hard check to verify the information you provided. Learn more.
BadCreditLoans.org connects you with a lender in its network of partners. Its network lenders have terms between 3 to 36 months and offer loans between $500 and $5,000. With easy eligibility requirements, you may be able to borrow money for a variety of purposes. There is no minimum monthly income required and no minimum credit score requirements.
BadCreditLoans.org can give you a second chance loan because they aren’t limited to helping only consumers with perfect credit. They have the resources to lend you a helping hand no matter if your credit is good or bad. Once you complete a short online application, you can get a personal loan offer in minutes from a network of lenders. Your approved loan can be deposited electronically into your checking account in as fast as one business day. Learn more.
Use second chance loans to get back on track
Personal loan options will have higher interest rates given your credit score but take the opportunity to use a second chance loan to improve your credit scores. Just like second chance bank accounts, a second chance loan lets you prove how well you can manage finances.
Here are four ways you can use a personal loan to help rebuild your credit history:
- Monthly on-time payments. Make payments on time every month. You need to consistently pay on time. Set up automatic debits to ensure that you’re making those payments on time every month, and that behavior will count favorably toward your credit score.
- Consolidate debts. You can use a personal loan to consolidate credit card debt. If you use a personal loan to pay off credit card balances, that can help your credit utilization rate. Credit utilization rate is essentially amount owed. Credit utilization ratio on revolving accounts (credit cards) is essentially the percentage of your available credit you’re using. Using a high percentage of your available credit means you’re close to maxing out your credit cards, which can have a negative impact on your FICO Scores.
- Lower your interest rate. Depending on your credit scores, personal loan rates are generally lower than those associated with credit cards, so shifting debt from cards to a personal loan can lower your interest rate. This can make it easier for you to pay off your debt and improve your credit score as a result.
- Diversify your credit mix. The types of credit you have is one of the five factors that goes into determining credit score. Ideally, you’ll have experience with both revolving credit (credit cards) and installment loans (personal loans). If you don’t already have installment debt such as a mortgage or a car loan, using a personal loan to manage some of your debt would diversify your credit mix.
Building and improving credit is an ongoing process so while a higher rate interest loan is not the optimum strategy to rebuild credit, it might be your only choice.