USAA serves the military but you do not have to be in the military to open an account. You will have to become a member prior to opening an account. Once you establish you are not in the military, a series of questions will be asked that will grant you membership.
USAA is a place where you can grow your money with mutual funds or brokerage accounts and become a life long customer. With other financial products including credit cards, mortgage loans, auto loans and auto insurance. Conduct your financial business all in one place and enjoy USAA’s excellent customer service.
You will be given a member number and with that number you can then open a savings account. The process can be completed online in about 15 minutes. The minimum opening balance is $25 for a checking account.
Highlights of USAA Free Savings Account:
- No monthly service fees, regardless of your balance.
- Every ATM nationwide is your ATM — if another bank charges you, we refund the fees.
- Free funds transfers to any bank in the United States.
- Tiered rates — The more you save, the more interest you’ll earn.
- Check your account balance, transfer funds and more at home with usaa.com or on the go with our free apps for iPhone™, Android™, BlackBerry and more.
- Deposit checks instantly — qualifying members can deposit checks using a computer scanner with USAA Deposit@Home® or an iPhone or Android device with Deposit@Mobile®.
- Deposit checks in your neighborhood — use USAA Easy Deposit at participating locations of The UPS Store®.
- Free postage-paid deposit envelopes.